The Magnetometer configuration menu is used to configure an external sensor and select the initial sensor.
- Initial: allows users to select the initial sensor. It is possible to choose between the following sensors:
- Internal: Veronte uses the internal sensor.
- External: Veronte uses a specific external sensor, Honeywell HMR2300.
- Integer var sensor: Veronte uses a integer value provided by an external sensor.
- Decimal var sensor: Veronte uses a decimal value provided by an external sensor.
- Edit Rotation Matrix: indicates the orientation of the external sensor with respect to the board.
The following options are available to configure the external sensor, according to the one used.
To configure the magnetometer HMR2300, it is only necessary to Edit Rotation Matrix.
On the other hand, the connection to the serial port is configured in Devices/Others/XPC Uint8.
In this menu it is possible to configure integer variables provided by an external sensor.
When a Integer variable is selected, the previous panel will be shown. In this panel, users select the variables that has been stored in a user variable (Green Box) and the operations that will be carried on (Red Box). It is possible use the signal and work with it using a linear or quadratic relation. The following image shows an example of a linear relation.
To configure the connection of a sensor different from the HMR2300, go to Devices/Others/XPC Uint8. The process of configuration has to be done using Custom Messages. It will depend on the device used and how it manages the information.
In this menu, user selects flotant variables for each axe (X,Y,Z), these do not requiere a signal treatment. The process of configuration is similar to the one carried out when configuring a Integer Variable.
Magnetometer Configuration – Decimal
Magnetometer calibration should be performed once Veronte has been installed on the platform so the magnetic field during the operation is similar to the one measured during the calibration.
In order to start calibration, press on the Start Calibration button so the system can capture magnetometer data. During the calibration, the system must be oriented in all possible directions so enough data can be captured. Once enough data has been captured, Compute Data sets the calibration.
The procedure for acquiring enough data for performing the calibration is:
- Hold the platform with your hands on the Y axis and rotate it parallel to the ground.
- While the platform is rotating, rotate also yourself so the platform turns in two axes simultaneously.
- Turn the platform 90 degrees within your hands and repeat the operation.
Magnetometer Calibration Procedure
Once three circles have been drawn on the screen, captured data will be enough for saving the calibration data. The following image shows an example of the calibration result:
Magnetometer Calibration Values